Visitor Experience Staff
Open History. Enter Democracy.
Position: Visitor Experience Staff
Supervisor: Visitor Experience Manager
Type: 8-30 hours per week; nonexempt
Hourly Rate: $15/hr
Formed in January 2020, Revolutionary Spaces is a new organization on Boston’s civic and cultural landscape. Our mission is to bring people together to explore the ongoing American struggle to create and sustain a free society as singularly evoked by the two national treasures we care for -- Boston’s Old South Meeting House and Old State House.
Through community partnerships, contemporary forms of storytelling, and important civic conversations, Revolutionary Spaces strives to bring people together to explore the history and continue the work of democracy that took shape in these buildings, located two blocks from each other in the heart of downtown Boston. We are dedicated to creating experiences for our audiences that not only deepen understanding of the past, but also provide a fresh perspective on the world we live in today and help us create new ideas and tools to build a more just and equitable tomorrow.
Revolutionary Spaces is an equal opportunity employer. We center our work on the following values:
- Inclusion: We are dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion and ensuring accessibility on multiple dimensions.
- Relevance: We are dedicated to creatively linking lessons of the past with the interests and concerns of Boston’s diverse communities today.
- Boldness of thought: We address challenging topics and promote understanding in response to controversy.
- Engagement: We encourage people to engage, add their voices to today’s debates, and collaborate with others to discover new ways of thinking.
About the Position
The Visitor Experience Staff position is a new role on the Museum Experience team. Bringing together education, visitor experience, and interpretation under one umbrella, the position offers a unique opportunity to work with a dynamic new organization to reinvent the public experience of two of the nation’s most significant 18th-century buildings and make them relevant and resonant to 21st-century audiences. Reporting to the Visitor Experience Manager and Supervisor, Visitor Experience Staff are the front-facing team for our public interpretation, education, and general visitor experiences. Responsible for executing gallery talks, tours of our sites, and facilitating interactive games and activities for school groups and the general public, Visitor Experience Staff are responsible for all visitors’ experiences from when they walk into the door to buy tickets to when they walk out our doors after exploring a variety of interpretive and experiential options.
- Greet visitors and inform them of the different offerings available to them at Revolutionary Spaces
- Provide general customer service throughout the museum spaces
- Deliver varied programming, including tours, gallery talks, video chats, and facilitated conversations and activities
- Operate a ticketing system and handle cash and credit card transactions
- Provide clear and thoughtful feedback to Visitor Experience Manager, Supervisor, and Director regarding museum programming in an effort to better iterate and improve museum offerings
- Open and close two historic sites in downtown Boston
- Ability to work weekends and some holidays
- A strong interest in history, and a desire to make Revolutionary Era history relevant to contemporary audiences and to widen its reach, or a genuine willingness to learn
- Past experience with museum experience or education preferred, but not required
- Ability and willingness to speak with audiences from broad and diverse backgrounds about history and contemporary issues
- Previous cash handling experience preferred, but not required
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and creative environment
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Ability to walk up and down steep, narrow staircases and lift up to 20 lbs.
Candidates will be expected to work out of offices and historic sites in downtown Boston. Some staff offices are located on the third floor of a 300 year old historic building without an elevator. Candidates should be able to carry equipment and supplies up and down stairs.
Generous paid time off schedule; 403b with 5% match after one year; and free admission to many local museums.
To apply, please email your resume and brief cover letter to HR@RevolutionarySpaces.org with “VX Staff” in the subject line.