State Advocate, Clean Energy
Clean Energy Advocate, Environment Massachusetts
Environment Massachusetts is a citizen-based environmental advocacy organization. We are seeking a Clean Energy Advocate who will lead the next phase of our program to move Massachusetts to 100% renewable energy.
You’ll work together with leaders at Environment America and The Public Interest Network around the country with decades of experience on clean energy policy and state-level advocacy.
Our clean energy advocate will lead our efforts to reduce Massachusetts’ reliance on fossil fuels and transition to renewable energy. This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment in making decisions in matters of significance. Key responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Coalition Building: Reach out to a broad range of organizations and constituency groups across the political spectrum to demonstrate support for our campaign goals. Run weekly or monthly coalition meetings with groups that have committed to work together on our campaigns.
- Media and Visibility: Get coverage for our campaigns and vision for clean energy in Massachusetts in the media and other channels in order to educate and motivate our supporters and decision-makers. Write press releases, op-eds, and letters to the editor; meet with reporters and hold press events; maintain an active social media presence for our campaigns.
- Advocacy: Meet with decision makers - from city council members to state legislators - to make the case for our campaign goals. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and advocacy writing: Catalog and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Fundraising: Reach out to foundations and donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Build the team: Recruit volunteers, interns and full-time staff. Potential to oversee junior staff.
- Passionate about the environment, solving the climate crisis and using the power of grassroots organizing to win campaigns.
- A campaign advocate or grassroots organizer with at least 2 years of advocacy or grassroots organizing experience. Advanced degrees may count toward experience.
- An effective communicator with excellent writing and public speaking skills. Experience getting traditional and digital media coverage in previous work is a plus.
- Creative and effective at solving complex problems; a strategic thinker who can take advantage of new opportunities.
- A people person and good listener with a track record of recruiting people; willing and interested in working with people who think differently than you.
- Well-organized and able to work on multiple legislative and administrative proposals at once.
About Environment Massachusetts
Environment Massachusetts is part of Environment America. Environment America tackles the most profound problem of our time: a way of living that is destroying the natural world.
We’re advocates for energy conservation and renewable power, so we can keep oil in the ground and stop burning fossil fuels. We’re champions of plastic reduction, so nothing we use for a few minutes is allowed to pollute our oceans for centuries. And we’re defenders of wildlife and wild places, both for their own sake as well as the awe and wonder they bring to our lives.
Environment America’s national network of 30 state environmental groups work to improve our quality of life by reducing the pollution and other harms of how we produce, consume and dispose of more and more stuff. And we do it one step at a time, by winning results for clean air, clean water, clean energy, wildlife, open spaces, and a livable climate that make a tangible difference in people's lives and our environment.
Compensation and Benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is $36,000-$42,000. Environment Massachusetts offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, paid time off, our commuter benefit program, a 401(k) plan with employer match, parental leave, long term disability insurance, and may include needs-based student loan assistance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Apply online here.
Our Mission and Values
Why work with Environment America? Check out 10 reasons: https://environmentamerica.org/why-work-with-us/
Environment Massachusetts and Environment America are part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://environmentamerica.org/core-values/ for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment Massachusetts is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.