Public Health Associate
Work for Progress
PIRG Public Health Campaigns Associate
PIRG is hiring a public health campaigns associate to help us tackle some of the greatest health threats we face. As an associate you’ll work with health experts across the country, training them to be effective advocates and communicators so we can make a bigger impact. You’ll advocate for re-building our public health infrastructure and measures to counter medical misinformation, as well as push for solutions to specific threats like antibiotic resistance and the epidemic of youth tobacco use.
American politics is too often dominated by special interests. PIRG's mission is to focus attention and action on the public interest.
We work on problems that affect everybody, not just one group or another. And we’ll work with anyone, Democrat, Republican or independent, who agrees with our positions and supports sensible solutions.
At PIRG, we focus on the quality of our lives, not the quantity of stuff we produce and consume. We aim to improve the quality of our health, our environment and our well-being.
PIRG’s Public Health Team
Too often industries or other special interests threaten public health, whether by misusing life-saving medicines to produce cheap meat, pushing addictive and deadly products on kids, or spreading misinformation that could endanger millions.
PIRG’s public health team partners with health experts across the country to share accurate information and call for solutions to health issues we shouldn’t have to tolerate.
As an associate, you may work on our campaign to stop the overuse of antibiotics in meat production. That includes building up our Coalition to Preserve Antibiotics, a group of physicians, farmers and veterinarians dedicated to keeping these miracle drugs effective. You’d help pressure major meat buyers to source meat raised without overusing antibiotics, and pursue legislation at the state and federal level on the issue.
You could also help move PIRG’s End the Nicotine Trap campaign forward to reduce youth tobacco use. For decades tobacco companies have targeted kids with flavored products. That’s why we’re working to pass state legislation to end the sale of all flavored tobacco products.
We are seeking a Campaign Associate who will spearhead this campaign and work with our experienced team of advocates, researchers, and digital and communications experts.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalog and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Recruit new people to your team: Help build your team recruiting volunteers, interns and full-time staff.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $30,000- $31,500 in the first year. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Boston, MA or Portland, ME
We’re also hiring campaign associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We have positions starting now and in August 2023. We accept applications on a rolling basis.
Fill out our online application: https://pirg.org/jobs/public-health-campaign-associate/
Things To Know When You Apply
PIRG is part of The Public Interest Network—a group of organizations that share a vision of a better country, a set of core values, and a coordinated strategic approach to getting things done. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Why work with PIRG? Check out 10 reasons: https://pirg.org/why-work-with-us/
PIRG is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.