Home Buyer Counselor
Merrimack Valley Housing Partnership
Job Title Program Associate - Housing Counselor
Address P.O. Box 1042, Lowell, MA 01853, www.mvhp.org
● The Program Associate – Housing Counselor provides comprehensive individual pre-purchase home buyer counseling and conducts home buyer workshops
● Counsel graduates of classes-home ownership readiness assessments, budgeting, debt reduction, pull credit reports for credit re-building, and education
● Teach home buyer training classes and landlord training classes
● Assist with facilitating education workshops, including scheduling, marketing, and procuring speakers
● Process down payment assistance applications
● Process lead paint applications
● Conduct home buyer profiles
● Create a budget and a detailed action plan for clients
● Create and ensure completion of a client’s file per organizational and HUD guidelines
● Adhere to all guidelines related to the confidentiality of client records and information and requirements per the HUD Housing Counseling Handbook and National Industry Standards for Homebuyer Education and Counseling.
● Proactively manage workload, calendar, and client appointments to help meet the goals of the organization and serve the client effectively
● Build relationships with lenders, realtors, and other professionals to develop referral sources
● Assist with special projects as assigned and other tasks deemed necessary to achieve overall goals and operate a successful program
● Conduct community outreach
● Obtain and keep HUD certification as a Housing Counselor
Bachelor of Arts desirable
· HUD Certification (can be obtained after employment)
· At least two years of experience in banking, lending, or related area and two (2) years of experience working with people in need of assistance or an equivalent combination of training and experience
● Strong independent judgment and decision-making skills.
• Ability to build collaborative relationships with colleagues and clients representing
diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, and viewpoints.
• Be able to work within a team structure and be able to negotiate and manage conflicts.
• Knowledge of housing and economic self-sufficiency issues, as well as community resources
• Ability to perform duties confidentially
• Detail-oriented with the ability to organize complex material in a clear and concise manner
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to structure and convey information for a large group in a manner that is engaging and approachable.
• Demonstrated skill in organizing time and prioritizing workload
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, Salesforce, and Outlook
• Bilingual competence preferred
The Merrimack Valley Housing Partnership recently celebrated its 35th anniversary. The MVHP is a small, highly productive and respected organization. Nearly 20,000 families have completed its home buyer training program.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week to be performed on-site. The Housing Counselor must be available to work flexible hours (some evenings and Saturdays) to accommodate the needs of clients. The Housing Counselor may be required to travel nationally to attend training and maintain certifications.
Compensation Commensurate with experience.
Please no telephone calls.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org