Collaborative for Educational Services
The Collaborative for Educational Services (CES) is seeking a Garden Coordinator for its Healthy Families and Communities department for overall coordination of the garden projects in Amherst at the ReNew Apartment Complex and the Fort River Community Garden. They will work in close coordination with residents, the Town of Amherst, Healthy Hampshire staff and property managers to implement and sustain garden programs at these two locations.
Who We Are: The Department of Healthy Families and Communities (HFC) carries out community health activities that underpin and support strong educational and health outcomes for all members of the community. HFC houses a number of public health coalitions and programs, including the SPIFFY Coalition, Healthy Hampshire, Redesigning Power Structures, Youth Mental Health First Aid, and the Hampshire-Franklin Tobacco-Free Community Partnership. HFC also provides consultation on a range of public health initiatives in the region, including the Western Mass Hospital Association’s Community Health Needs Assessment and technical assistance for Drug-Free Communities grantees.
We value: Relationship building, undoing systems of white dominance, accessibility, authenticity, supporting others to realize their agency to create change, and long-term, collaborative, multi-sectoral change processes that are rooted in community. Creating a community of care is foundational to the work we do, together!
- Provide coordination and staff support to create a garden at ReNew Apartments to include:
- Conducting a survey of residents to gauge interest
- Organizing and facilitating community meetings to engage residents in the design process
- Forming a circle of residents, community partners & volunteers to manage the project and provide staff support to that circle
- Producing a design for the garden based on community feedback, site requirements, and property manager’s preferences
- Coordinating a garden build day
- Creating rules and protocols for the garden, and establish a sign-up process with property management
- Coordinating the opening of the garden by June, 2023
- Provide staff support and coordination to the Fort River Garden Circle
- Coordinate communications for both garden projects, including the coordination of interpretation and translation, social media, and maintaining contact lists
- Collaborate as needed with related food projects in Amherst, including the Amherst Mobile Market and the Hampshire County Food Policy Council
- Develop and foster community partnerships (to be determined) to support each garden
- Provide administrative support to purchase supplies for both garden projects
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2+ years of work or volunteer experience related to community organizing, community gardens, education or a related field.
- English/Spanish Bilingual
Terms of Employment:
- This part-time position is funded until June 30, 2023. It will start at 15 hours/week with the possibility of expanding beyond June 30.
- Hourly rate is $23-$27 per hour, based on experience. No benefits are available.
- Flexible daytime hours with some evening and evening work.