Foundation & Office Assistant
GMA Foundations (GMA) provides grantmaking, administrative, financial management, and consulting services to foundations, philanthropic families, and giving programs that support a wide range of local, national, and international causes. Our mission is rooted in our belief in the transformative nature of philanthropy, that each of us in this field has the capacity to help shape a more just and equitable future.
We are seeking a full-time Foundation & Office Assistant who will coordinate all administrative duties associated with their assigned client foundations’ grantmaking and program activities, maintain the front office, and assist with a range of other administrative duties. Beyond these responsibilities, the Foundation Assistant will have opportunities to learn more about the field of philanthropy and participate in various projects. At GMA we focus on long-term positions, with ongoing learning and professional development opportunities.
We are accelerating our efforts to become more diverse, culturally competent, inclusive and equitable. We value and promote diversity in our employee’s backgrounds, origins, and ideas and work to maximize employee growth and satisfaction. Read more about our values on our website.
DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Foundation & Office Assistant will be supervised by a senior Program Officer, while working on several client teams and with GMA’s operations staff.
Foundation Assistant responsibilities include (estimated at 70% time):
· Handle correspondence, telephone, and personal contact with trustees, nonprofit applicants and grantees.
· Communicate with the public about grantmaking guidelines and processes, and answer questions from applicants.
· Schedule site visits and meetings.
· Coordinate and produce periodic trustee reports and board meeting books.
· Coordinate logistics for and take minutes at board meetings.
· Enter data, including in grants management system, and generate reports.
· Monitor grantee reporting requirements.
· Confirm and request financial data from accounting department.
· Coordinate and send grant payments.
· Represent the foundation, as requested, in public meetings and events.
· Other tasks as assigned.
Office Assistant responsibilities include (estimated at 30% time):
· Greet and direct visitors.
· Answer general inquiries phone line, referring calls and taking messages.
· Monitor general email, responding to requests for information, directing messages to appropriate staff.
· Sort and distribute incoming mail and deliveries.
· Perform administrative assignments, particularly assist administrative staff during peak work cycles.
· Ensure office organization and cleanliness throughout office and meeting spaces.
· Manage office supply inventory.
· Perform other related duties, as necessary, or on own initiative.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Bachelor’s degree in any area of study and 1+ years of administrative experience (including internships and/or volunteer experience), or Associate’s degree with 3+ years of administrative experience.
· Excellent customer service approach, able to communicate in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner.
· Excellent writing skills, able to draft professional correspondence with accurate grammar and spelling.
· Strong computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office.
· Superior organizational skills and proven ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines, while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
· Proactive, problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work both as part of a team and independently in a reliable manner, with minimal supervision.
· Previous foundation experience and knowledge of grantmaking software.
· Previous experience managing client relationships.
· Experience working with databases.
· Knowledge of additional software - PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, WordPress, Constant Contact.
GMA welcomes applicants who seek to learn about philanthropy, and we are open to providing training and mentoring to support an applicant’s technical and organizational skills.
Our work week is M – F, from 9 AM to 5 PM. Our office is located in downtown Boston, and staff members may take advantage of our new hybrid work policy after three months. Our schedule often includes early morning and evening meetings, and occasional weekend meetings. Flexible office hours are arranged, as appropriate. GMA staff occasionally travel to various locations, urban and rural, to participate in site visits, client meetings, and educational programs. Valid drivers’ license or ability to travel by public transportation is required. The position requires long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers, and includes some light lifting of supplies and materials.
Salary range: $40,000-$44,000.
GMA is an employee friendly company offering excellent benefits: paid vacation, holiday, sick days and medical leave; health, vision, and dental insurance; medical and dependent care FSA; and a 401k plan with employer match.
Please send resume and cover letter to Leah Even Chorev at email@example.com. Resumes will be considered on a rolling basis. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. The position is open until filled. Please include “Application for Foundation & Office Assistant” in the subject line of your email.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.