Open History. Enter Democracy.
Position: Facilities Assistant
Supervisor: Facilities & Preservation Manager
Type: 40 hours per week; non-exempt
Salary Range: $19-21/hr
Target Start Date: ASAP
Revolutionary Spaces is a new arts & culture organization on Boston’s Freedom Trail, formed in January 2020 by the merger of the Bostonian Society and Old South Association. Through partnerships, theater and arts, exhibits, and other cultural activities, Revolutionary Spaces brings people together to explore the history and continue the work of democracy that was started in part in the two historic sites and museums we care for – Old South Meeting House and the Old State House, located two blocks from each other in the heart of downtown Boston.
Revolutionary Spaces is an equal opportunity employer. We value inclusion, relevance, boldness of thought, and engagement in our work.
● The Facilities Assistant is responsible for assisting in the care and operations of two museums and historic sites, Boston’s Old State House and Old South Meeting House.
Building Care and Maintenance:
● React and respond swiftly to address building maintenance issues. You will regularly crawl through tight spaces and employ the use of hand tools and power tools.
● Oversee our daily housekeeping vendor and maintain cleaning supply inventories. Be prepared to help scrape, scrub, and clean any areas outside of the janitor’s duties.
● Maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the buildings to the highest possible standards; doing light carpentry, sanding, painting, plastering, or other related work.
● Understand how to diagnose, repair, operate and control a variety of building systems, including: air handlers, chillers, pumps, coils, electrical breakers, and lighting systems.
● Help conduct regular inspections of the buildings’ conditions, and assist in preparing long-term preservation planning documents.
● Maintain a log of work requests from other departments; researching and purchasing tools and materials needed to complete a variety of projects.
● Manage a variety of contract vendors, including; cleaners, plumbers, electricians, alarm companies, carpenters, general contractors, and pest control, among many others.
Safety and Security:
● Take authoritative action to protect the safety and security of guests, staff, and facilities in case of emergency.
● When necessary, intervene directly or by liaising with public safety officials when individuals inside or outside the buildings present a threat to the safety and security of guests, staff, and facilities.
Planning and Project Management:
● Participate in the planning and design management process over multiple construction projects and initiatives.
● Help organize and manage related building documents, including; inspection reports, MSDS books, COI’s, building certificates, operating manuals, emergency procedures, vendor contracts, and other facilities planning documents.
● Internalize the general history and evolution of the properties over time, and be a source of information regarding physical changes or current conditions.
● Be willing, able and comfortable to step into visitor service roles as needed, graciously welcoming and informing museum patrons or members of our Board of Directors.
● This role supports the Facilities & Preservation Manager, and includes one weekend day per week.
Knowledge and experience:
● Knowledge of building mechanical systems.
● Knowledge of building electrical systems.
● Knowledge of building plumbing networks including steam.
● Comfortable working with a variety of tools and materials.
● Ability to read and understand construction specs and drawings.
● Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate multiple projects. Excellent time-management skills.
● Strong literacy in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills.
● Able to work in a multi-story, historic building without an elevator. Able to carry 50 pounds. Comfortable climbing ladders and crawling through tight spaces.
Generous vacation, sick and Federal holidays schedule; 403b with 5% match after one year; Health insurance; Life, AD&D, and Long-Term Disability insurance; FSA Medical & Dependent care accounts; and free admission to many local museums.
To apply, please email HR@RevolutionarySpaces.org with your resume and brief cover letter with “Facilities Assistant” in the subject line.
The position is open until filled.