Director of Development
Job Description Summary
The Director of Development is a non-clinical role in the Development and Communications (DevCom) Team and reports to the VP of Operational Innovation. This position is a member of the Leadership Team and is salaried and full-time.
*Please submit a cover letter with your application*
The Director of Development is responsible for identifying, cultivating, and soliciting potential high-level donors and sponsors to drive the growth and expansion of our organization. This role is for a strategic, gregarious, self-driven, and disciplined individual who has a passion for the trans and gender-diverse community. The Director of Development oversees and executes all development strategies and should be able to build long-lasting relationships, be well rounded in multiple sectors, and be informed on the latest development strategies.
Our journey to expanding gender-affirming healthcare for ALL.
We are constantly working for diversity, inclusion, justice, and equity.
At Transhealth, we are committed to creating a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment for all of our patients, staff, and community members. Building a team that reflects the diversity of our patients and the inclusive, just, and equitable world we want to see is a critical aspect of our vision.
We recognize that the healthcare industry in the U.S. has a long and painful history of systemic oppression, discrimination, and harm and we are dedicated to challenging and dismantling those systems. We are constantly learning and growing, and are committed to staying informed and up-to-date on issues related to diversity, inclusion, justice, and equity.
We are committed to providing culturally responsive care that is sensitive and responsive to the unique needs and experiences of our patients. We strive to create a culture that embraces diversity and inclusion, and celebrates differences. We believe that by valuing and respecting our differences, we can better serve our patients and contribute to a more just and equitable world.
Objectives & Responsibilities
- Create and lead a comprehensive multi-year fundraising strategy, aligning with the organization's long-term goals
- Identify, cultivate, and secure high-level relationships with corporations, foundations, and individual donors; write and secure major grants
- Develop a long-term strategy to create a Development Team
- Foster collaboration with the Communications Team to create impactful marketing materials
- Lead the planning and execution of special fundraising events, campaigns, and initiatives
- Design and execute the annual appeal, working collaboratively with the Communications Team on needed promotional materials
- Maintain an active list of major donors and high-potential prospects, implementing a systemic cultivation process
- Make regular telephone or in-person contact with current and potential donors, facilitating connections between the Chief Executive Officer or Board where appropriate
- Work closely with Board members to leverage their networks and to guide them in serving as compelling advocates for the organization
- Maintain professional and friendly relationships with foundation grantors, updating them on how their grant funds are being utilized throughout the year
- Stay current on trends and legislation that are likely to affect organizational funding
Qualifications & Experience
- A minimum of 5 years of fundraising experience in a nonprofit environment
- Passionate and empathetic leader who can build a cohesive team and foster a positive organizational culture
- Proven track record in securing major gifts, sponsorships, and grants
- Experience with donor relationship management, ability to “work the room”
- Experience planning and executing large, creative events for a wide variety of audiences; large-scale fundraising events preferred
- Professional connections in the Western Massachusetts region preferred
- Able to articulate strategies for donor support, sponsorships, and grant writing
- Sound knowledge of the charity sector
- Familiarity with Funraise (or similar databases)
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, with an ability to inspire and persuade diverse audiences
- Able to use various databases to run reports
- Demonstrated knowledge of sound and ethical fundraising principles
- A superior communicator who readily shares information concisely
- Articulate and personable, able to convey a positive image of the organization externally, and credible and reliable for staff internally
- Able to multitask and stay cool under pressure
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment and integrity, and be persuasive and friendly
- Willingness to champion the values of Transhealth
- Willingness to discover problematic concerns, and solve them
- Be a supportive team player that can thrive in a start-up environment
- Be a compassionate leader that can understand and empathize with others
- Have an open mindset with the ability to be flexible, conscientious and positive
- Have a team-oriented mindset and excellent sense of humor
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee may be required to perform repetitive motions that may include the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. There are no adverse environmental conditions expected.
Reasonable accommodations will be reviewed upon request.