Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts
For over 100 years, Girl Scouts has empowered girls to lead, break barriers, and create positive change. Girl Scouts’ powerful all-girl space fosters collaboration over competition, and inspires girls to go beyond dreaming to actual doing.
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (“GSEMA”), a 501(c) (3) nonprofit company, is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time Controller. We are seeking a dynamic, high energy individual who has the combination of education, work experience, and collaborative approach to help lead our organization into the next phase of our growth plan.
The Controller is accountable for leading the finance function of GSEMA and assisting the Chief Financial Officer in the sound fiscal control and management of the council’s financial operations. The Controller will be responsible for the daily functions of the accounting team, GAAP accounting, maintaining the financial and administrative infrastructure of the company. The incumbent will oversee financial accounting functions, cash management activities, month-end closings and tax filings including the Form 990 filing and other local, state and federal filings, and our point person on external audits. The Controller is also responsible for preparing and analyzing financial reports for the executive team, the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
This is hybrid role will be based in either GSEMA's Andover or Waltham office with travel required between the two locations. Occasional travel to other GSEMA offices and locations within the council's service area may be required.
What you will need to succeed in this role:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; MBA is a plus
- Minimum of 10 years of successful experience in accounting management and supervisory positions, preferably in a not-for-profit organization
- Strong communication, leadership, technology, analytical, and management skills
- Professional work ethic, a hands-on approach; can dive into the details as well as coach and develop the accounting team
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the incumbent can work effectively in a cross-functional environment and interact on high level with the Finance, Investment and Audit Committees of the Board
- Knowledgeable and professionally competent in all areas of accounting controls, finance, bank relations, cash management, finance reporting, risk management and other related functions
- Prepare, analyze and present monthly operating reports, year to date and full year forecasts to management, and address any areas for improvement.
- Oversee and drive the month-end close process and maintain the integrity and accuracy of the general ledger including account reconciliations.
- Utilize best practices to implement more efficient accounting procedures and financial controls.
- Establish and institute internal controls.
- Ensure GAAP accounting practices and maintain sound accounting policies and procedures.
- Manage accounting team and functions including Revenue streams, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Investment (Endowment) accounting, expense recognition and the General Ledger.
- Maintain cost data and report cost information to management.
- Preparation of consolidations, financial reporting to local, state and federal agencies.
- Assist and lead other projects.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Note: Girl Scouting is open to all youth members and adults by delivering the Girl Scout message of pluralism and diversity to members of the council. Diversity and inclusion is more than an initiative; it is a set of shared values that defines the fabric of our mission. Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts is an equal opportunity employer. Read more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Racial Justice!
Go For It
Research shows that women and members of historically marginalized groups do not apply to jobs where they feel they don’t hit 100% of the requirements. If this is how you feel after reading through this posting, we encourage you to apply anyway! Hiring is a two-way street. Submitting your application can lead to conversations about your skills and experiences, and how we may be able to provide support and development. Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts invites you to apply!
Commitment to Health and Safety: COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As part of GSEMA’s commitment to health and safety, all employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 per GSEMA’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. GSEMA will consider exemption requests from individuals with medical conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs that prevent them from getting the vaccine.