Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation
The Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) is accepting applications for a full-time Communications Associate to join the Communications Team, which promotes MLAC’s work as the largest funder of civil legal services in Massachusetts on websites, in the media, in legislative materials, through social media, and in annual reports. MLAC is an exciting place to work with a diverse staff and inclusive workplace environment. We are located in a beautiful new office space on Tremont Street near Government Center in Boston. Due to COVID-19, this position is temporarily remote until further notice.
The Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) is a non-profit organization established by the Commonwealth to ensure that low-income people with critical, non-criminal legal problems have access to legal information, advice, and representation. MLAC provides leadership and support for the continued improvement of legal aid to low-income people and is the largest funding source for civil legal aid organizations in the Commonwealth.
MLAC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to diversity in its workforce. A crucial part of MLAC’s vision is supporting cultural and linguistic competence, as well as ensuring diversity of staff and volunteers, so clients can be best served. Women, individuals with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, people of color, and people who speak English as a second language are encouraged to apply. Learn more about us at www.mlac.org.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Communications Associate reports to the Communications Director and is responsible for a wide variety of writing assignments, website posts, and social media.
· Draft and post content for two websites, MLAC.org and equaljusticecoalition.org. Add content to other MLAC-associated websites as needed
· Provide regular updates to social media accounts on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube. Contribute to social media planning and strategy
· Write stories detailing the benefits of civil legal aid and describing MLAC’s grants and work
· Draft letters and fact sheets to support MLAC’s annual legislative campaign to secure state funding
· Assist with newsletters and annual reports, including written descriptions and graphics
· Partner with the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion team on projects as needed
BACKGROUND AND QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will be a strong writer with social media and website experience and a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
· BS/BA or Associates degree in journalism, public relations, or related degree preferred, and/or relevant work experience in the communications field
· Strong written and oral communications skills
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
· Page layout and design skills; familiarity with Photoshop and design software such as InDesign
· Website content and design skills; familiarity with Word Press or other web content and creation software a plus
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment
· Demonstrated interest in serving the non-profit sector
· Proficiency with MS Office products, especially Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
· Demonstrated ability to master new software and technologies
· Demonstrated ability to embrace a workplace culture that values diversity, equity and inclusion
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
To apply: Candidates should submit: 1) a cover letter, 2) a resume, and 3) a writing sample demonstrating their best work. Please submit all as PDFs no later than Monday, August 16, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please put the job title in the subject line of your email, and, in your cover letter, please mention where you saw this posting. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided upon request to individuals with disabilities. No phone calls, please.